My first ever audio plugin

I’ve been procrastinating working on the OCA library project that I’ve started, so I ended up writing a really naive distortion plugin.

My SI-D1 distortion running as a standalone JACK application.
My SI-D1 distortion running as a standalone JACK application.

It works as a LADSPA, LV2, VST (untested) plugin, or as a standalone application (as pictured above). I used the DISTRHO Plugin Framework which is how I can target all the platforms. It should, in theory, build on Windows as well.

The code itself is quite simple: it pre-amplifies the signal, and then applies a very hard clipping algorithm. The clipping levels are determined by the “Range” and “Bias” parameters. Range sets the distance between the thresholds, around 0.0, and then Bias moves those thresholds up or down. It doesn’t sound great but its a start.

I haven’t provided a binary download as yet, but you can get it on github.

Try it out and let me know what you think.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s