I start a new job on Monday, leading a tech team of around 20 people, so this week’s book is some food for thought on how to give them my best.
So, I’m gradually working towards making a simple fighting game, using my Kinect as the input sensor. I think initially it’ll be one person punching a punching bag, then two people competing, and then probably some sort of computer controlled AI which looks at your pose, and chooses the right pose/move accordingly (although since I don’t really know how to fight, that will be interesting).
Anyhow, a few weeks ago I got a very rudimentary scripting host working, where I have my rendering infrastructure written in C++, and I have a mono .NET window displaying the output etc. Well I have since improved it to allow me to create entities on-screen in a (somewhat) adhoc manner (they’re all the same entity at the moment). In doing this I decided to do an experiment to discover what we all know is true: if you have more than one instance of the same model on screen, it better be the same vertices et al in memory. My Naive version loaded the model from disk, and packed it into my renderable format in memory each time the scrip requested an entity from the engine. I wanted to do 1000 entities, but the Naive approach crashed my computer at ~380, so for my performance comparisons I only went up to 200. My second approach uses boost::flyweights to share the model amongst all the entities that use it. I performance tested this one up to 200 as well, but as you can see below it gets up to 1000 dwarves on screen quite happily.